Weight this morning: 129.2
Low weight: 128.6
Goal weight: 125
This morning we started the day off right with a 20-minute run/walk (200 cals burned) and then drove to my in-laws’ house.
Since the focus of this blog is…well, FOOD…I decided to look into what the original Thanksgiving feast looked like, way back in 1621 and compare it to what we eat today. So, I gathered some information on what historians believe the Pilgrims and Native Americans ate during that first November feast. My very scientific research (googling) lead me to the following conclusions…
Then: rabbit, chicken, goose, duck, turkey, venison, mussels, lobster
Now: turkey, almost exclusively
Then: beans, carrots, eggs, corn, cabbage, radishes, pumpkin, grapes
Now: stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potato (casserole), green bean (casserole), cranberry sauce, mac and cheese, cornbread/rolls
Then: ummm almost all of my “sources” agree that no sugar was left over from the Mayflower voyage, so there was not a SINGLE pie at the original feast
Now: pumpkin pie, apple pie, cakes, cookies
Then: only water
Now: wine, beer, cocktails
It was pretty interesting to read all about the original Thanksgiving feast and how much our dishes have evolved through time. Gosh, I love all this food talk! Speaking of which, on to the food (drinks) i 8 (drank) today:
- a Mich Ultra and 2 glasses of red wine
- my vegetarian “side sampler” plate (didn’t stop to take a pic today, sorry), filled with a little bit of:
- mashed sweet potatoes
- watergate salad –> have you had this? my sister-in-law made it, and I am OBSESSED!!! It combines lots of things I love!
- mac and cheese
- green bean casserole
- scalloped potatoes
- iced pumpkin bread…maybe I had two big slices, so so good!
- dessert –> very thin slice of apple pie and a helping of a pumpkin pie-type casserole
Sorry friends, no calorie-counting today. Tomorrow we’re off to have another food-filled day (and zero exercise), but I deserve it dammit! 🙂 Yay for FEASTS!